Tuesday, January 28, 2014


Here is one more little travel chabako I put together recently. I found the metal box at a resale shop, and a vintage collapsible cup with a lid for the kensui (bowl for discarded rinse water). I made a chakin tsutsu and furidashi with marbled clay and small white stoneware chawan with similar colors. 

The chasen is extra small so I will use the plastic container as the tsutsu until I can find time to make one of aluminum.  Also, in bottom center of photo is half of a screen ball-shaped tea-infuser that I use to sift the matcha. Instead of a lacquer natsume I use a tin container that matcha came in when I first began lessons in the 80s.  (not in picture.)



4 comments:

  1. It's so fun to see all your creative versions of portable tea ceremony sets. Thank you for your blog, and happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I've been studying about a year and a half and am just entering Chabako. I'm so excited! I have my first chabako kit, which came to me like a gift from the gods. (From a rummage sale - someone didn't know what they had!) I'll look forward to learning from you and admiring your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I see you have a link to Sweet Persimmon on here. I'm one of Margie sensei's students. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,

    Congratulations on making such a great find at a rummage sale! How do you like doing chabako?

    I enjoy Sweet Persimmon entries and look often at the archives. You are very fortunate to study with Margie Sensei.

    ReplyDelete